Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Reminds me of...

... the following quartet from Rubaiyyat, the verse copied below.
...
Indeed the idols I have loved so long
Have done my credit in Men's Eye much wrong:
Have drown'd my honour in a shallow Cup,
And sold my reputation for a song.

...
Saga of a crumpled piece of paper (Vivek Sharma)

I was a crumpled piece of paper
till your curiosity unfurled me;
An excited child in you ironed away
my wrinkled and discarded past
and laughed at what I bore boldly
written in her hand, in pencil
in dark arches, colons, commas,
with a full stop.

You laughed till your tears
made maps over me
and then you smiled and erased away
her words, her punctuations
and took crayons to wax me with color.
Fascinated by the impact of your hands,
you embellished me,
revived me and then artfully
sold me away.

No comments:

Post a Comment