Friday, December 18, 2009

Flash retreive

It all spools one early lazy day home (Blogged Sept 7, 2006)
 
I want to blog but I don’t know what to blog about or that there are too many thoughts too few fingers to blaze them down. For starters, I am home early and I don’t know what to do with myself. I fed my fish and sat staring at them for about a good fifteen minutes. I fly tomorrow and my bags are already packed - clothes all rolled up neatly in rubber-bands as a space saving tactic. I have nothing to do. Life as a control freak - I think that is what I have become.

Why don’t you do up your hair he says. Whatever for and why? It is just so comfortable and simple and easy. She just got a complicated haircut and spends 20 minutes ironing and styling strategic strands every morning for 'the look' the stylist sold her. I shampoo, bunch up the mop on my head with a clip and it dries in office. I am so happy to be a slob. When did these things begin to matter? I do what is important what makes a difference. FIIs in emerging market equities won't plummet if I do up my hair. I wonder what else I have to hear next. But it is interesting. I thank life for its variety.

'Métro boulot dodo' that’s what the French call my way of life. So I am going to Singapore and she tells me to get my trip extended. He says he will jump off the sixteenth floor if I get my trip extended. My life is full of these generics - he's and she's. They keep swinging by like trapeze artists, like the tennis ball in a tennis match.

I know what to expect from Singapore. I will spend my flight time making a list of people for whom to buy things. I will make a list of things to buy. I will kill my non-mathematically inclined brain converting currency in every store. Hopefully I won't get lost or mugged.

It will be chok-a-blok live animated streets bright neons in the night, revelry, drinking and dancing. I will go by the waterfront and gaze into it like a fool thinking Paris will be so much better. I will do things so people think that they are being good hosts and feel good about themselves but I will be truly happiest when I am snug in bed with my socks because the floor is always so cold. I will miss my albino shark because I love the pores on his skin and because he stops dashing into the glass like a blind torpedo when he sees me. I will miss my people because any place is always so much better with them around.

My people calls me from Jersey thrice a day to connect me to sisters in Singapore I have never met in our lives so I don’t get lost. My people in Birmingham gives me a weekly countdown to the next India visit and it kills me that I act like such a cold wall to such advances. My people in Amsterdam sent me Calvin and Hobbes for two weeks everyday until I gave up being too mad and too cross. My people is in Germany and returns on the 10th and I hope we bump into each other at the airport if nowhere else. It really doesn’t matter where I am for my people is never with me.

And he asks me why I don’t do up my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment